First Assembly of God Built: 1966
FIRST ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH (as of 1973)
First Assembly of God Church was started in 1950 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Buck. Wayne Strausser became the first pastor and services were held in the old Mennonite Church building on Elm Street which the group purchased. Later, a site was chosen on the southwest corner of Arch and Chestnut Streets.
In 1956, John Leardi became the pastor and initiated a building fund project; soon after, ground was broken on the newly acquired land. Pastor Charles Pezzino followed in 1964 and a year later, under Donald Zerr’s leadership as chairman of the building committee, the attractive brick structure began to take form. It was dedicated in June1966. In 1969, David Lehman was elected pastor and served until February,1971, when Joseph Cooper was named to succeed him. Pastor Cooper is currently serving.
Members of the board at present are Earl Man-wilier; Ronald Oswald; Paul Manwiller; Elmer Strausser; and Walter Manwiller. Elmer Strausser also serves as church secretary and Earl Manwiller as superintendent of the Sunday School.