Fleetwood Auto Body
The company began business on April 1, 1909 and continued as an independent automobile body builder until acquired in 1925 by the Fisher Body Company, a division of General Motors. The company continued in Fleetwood until 1931 at which time General Motors moved the entire operation to Detroit.
Long before aquisition by Fisher Body Company, the Fleetwood Metal Body Company had established its reputation as a builder of fine wood and aluminum auto bodies. Its built-to-order product was sought after by many notables both here and abroad, some of whom were royalty from India and Japan, presidents of Poland and the United States and some well known American movie idols. One, built for silent screen star Rudolph Valentino, was recently on sale for $1,600,000.00. Click Here to Read More
The Moses Folk Property located on the Northwest corner of Franklin and Washington Streets. The property extends from Franklin Street to Almond Alley which runs from Washington Street to Arch Street. Located there first was the Moses Folk Carriage Works which produced quality wagons, buggies and sleighs for over fifty years. Upon the death of Moses at age 33, his son Richard Folk succeeded him. Click Here to Read More
James Hill Car
As a teenager, James Hill dreamed of a carriage that could travel over roads without the aid of a horse. One of the earliest automobiles, the Hill car was conceived in the mind of James F. Hill at the age of 13 in 1868. A mechanical genius and inventor, Mr. Hill built the car in Fleetwood several years later. self-powered vehicle, initially fitted with a steam engine, it was later modified with a single-cylinder gasoline engine and finally with its present two-cylinder gasoline engine of Hill’s design. The car is now owned by Dr. Elaine Van den Bosch, Birdsboro and is on loan to the Boyertown Museum of Historic Automobiles. James Hill was granted U.S. Patent # 711,628. Click Here to Read More