Andrew Maier Elementary School History
Andrew Maier Elementary School was named in honor of Andrew Maier, a Reading baker who donated the land on which the school was built.
The original building was erected in 1951. The first major renovations to the school occurred in 1973, including an “open space” area, a library, and a multi-purpose room. In 1992, Andrew Maier Elementary School received a major overhaul, including a new gymnasium, computer lab, art and music rooms, as well as ten new classrooms.
Currently, Andrew Maier, as well as the other two elementary schools in the district, operate under a K-4 organizational structure. At each grade level, a planned course of study (curriculum guide) has been developed by the instructional staff for each subject taught. In addition to the regular education programs, a learning support class and a gifted program (ETC.) compliment and reinforce the curricula of all grade levels.
Enrollment for the 2000-01 school year, as of this publication, is 488 students, taught by a staff of 17 classroom teachers. In addition to the regular staff, the school is served by Title 1 reading, learning support, computer, art, speech and language, music, and physical education teachers; a guidance counselor; librarian; nurse; and instructional aides. In addition, the Parent-Teacher Club is very supportive of the school, providing a variety of programs, activities, and materials for student staff.
The Andrew Maier Elementary School staff is committed to excellence, providing a strong program of education that gives all students the opportunities they need to reach their fullest potential in a warm, friendly, and challenging learning environment.